Business Valuation & Litigation Support
Being able to get a credible and objective valuation of your business is important as valuation can play a critical role in negotiations over the sale of a business, succession planning, or achieving other important financial goals. The skills and experience required to do this in a meaningful way are not common and competent professionals who understand this process can be hard to find.
SB Partners LLP provides complete and objective business valuation and litigation support services to private and public companies, individuals or law firms. Our valuation reports are clear, sound and comprehensive, providing significant benefits in crucial negotiations.
We can also demonstrate to you how your company’s value is not just based on its financial performance alone. Through the process, we make it possible to impose management focus on those few things that will drive long term value creation.
Business Valuation Services
We have successfully assisted our clients in many facets of their businesses pertaining to valuation including:
- Valuation of entire businesses, spin-offs and joint ventures
- Shareholder disputes, minority shareholder dissent and oppression claims
- Identification and valuation of intangible assets, such as intellectual property, customer relationships, technology, trademarks, and brand names
- Partner or shareholder admissions
- Acquisition pricing analysis
- Sale of a business
- Succession planning
- Income tax planning and compliance valuations
- Estate planning
- Shareholder buy-sell pricing formulas
- Strategy development and valuations including financial modeling
- Valuation of options and warrants
- Matrimonial separation
In litigation scenarios, SB Partners can assist various stakeholders such as defendants, plaintiffs, and lawyers when quantifying economic damages in matters involving dispute, business losses and personal injury. Depending on the circumstances, we can provide litigation support from initial risk assessment through to Discovery, Settlement, Trial and Appeal. Our ability to simplify complex matters in clear and logical reports is a distinguishing characteristic of the SB Partners’ Valuation Practice.
Among the areas of support in resolution, pursuit or defense of litigation, we provide support in the following situations:
- Shareholder disputes, minority dissent and oppression
- Breach of contract
- Business interruption
- Property expropriation
- Personal injury
- Intellectual property disputes
- Breach of care/Fiduciary duty
In particular, we can assist in the litigation process by providing the following services:
- Commercial damages quantification and accounting of profits
- Identifying various heads of damage
- Performing an initial damage assessment for the Statement of Claim
- Reviewing the damage assessment in the Statement of Claim in order to assist in preparing the Statement of Defense
- Preparing a damages brief for purposes of mediation or arbitration
- Aiding in the preparation and attendance at case conferences
- Assistance in preparation of line of questioning for Examination for Discovery
- Advice on potential financial, accounting and tax aspects of an action
- Separation and Divorce Support Services
- Our litigation support services to Family Law lawyers and their clients provide a sound assessment and clear representation of the financial positions of the parties.
We assist family law lawyers and their clients with:
- Business valuations
- Assistance in preparation of net family property statements
- Reporting on available income for child and spousal support based on relevant support guidelines
- Reporting on the potential tax liability associated with disposition of assets
- Stock options valuations
- Expert testimony
- Assistance in preparing a line of questioning for cross examination of an opposing expert
- Opposing experts’ report critique
- Assistance in property settlement negotiation including tax implications
- Assistance in Discoveries
- Valuation for Financial Reporting
SB Partners helps clients with their financial reporting when they are faced with various fair value requirements under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. We assist with purchase price allocation, goodwill impairment testing and other areas.
Looking Ahead—Make Us Part of Your Planning Process
Always assume that your business is for sale. Always anticipate value scrutiny. Being proactive will help you drive up the value of your business. In addition to quantifying the worth of a private company for transactions and other purposes, the valuation process can help business owners identify which factors influence value. SB Partners will give you the insight and guidance to build business value by understanding controllable and uncontrollable value drivers. Knowing what your business is worth, and why, is the first step to creating future value.
Do you have valuation questions? We have the answers.